Do You Need a Visa for Housesitting Abroad?

Housesitting can be a great way to travel the world on a budget, but you need to do your research before accepting any assignments. You could find yourself in a difficult situation if you’re not prepared with the right visas. With a little bit of preparation, caring for someone’s home can be a safe and affordable way to see the world. So read on for some tips on how to prepare for your global housesitting adventure!

Do I Need a Visa?

Housesitting can offer many benefits, such as allowing you to live in amazing locations for free, saving money on accommodation costs, and getting to know a new, local community. If you plan to go abroad your visa requirements will depend on a few factors, including your citizenship, the country you are traveling to, and how long you plan on staying. In general, it’s a good idea to start your research early to find out if you need a visa to enter any country you will be traveling to.

Can I Be Denied Entry Without the Proper Visa?

Yes. In June 2022, Madolline Gourley was traveling from Australia to Canada via Los Angeles for a house-sitting gig and was denied entry into the US because her housesitting responsibilities weren’t allowed under her tourist visa. See full article here:

What Type of Visa Do I Need?

There are generally two types of visas available for those looking for gigs abroad: work visas and tourist visas. Which type of visa you need will depend on a few factors, including your country of citizenship, your intended length of stay, and the activities you plan to engage in while housesitting. Let’s take a closer look at each type of visa in turn.

Work Visas

If you’re a citizen of the United States, Canada, or Australia, you may be eligible for a work visa. Work visas are typically valid for 12 months and allow holders to engage in paid employment while in the country. To be eligible for a work visa, you may need to provide evidence that you have a full-time job lined up with a local employer. In some cases, it may also be necessary to prove that you have the skills or qualifications required for the position. Generally, a working holiday visa or a student visa will take a lot more time to get than a tourist visa.

Tourist Visas

Tourist visas can be easier to obtain than work visas and are typically valid for at least 3-6 months. If you’re a citizen of the United States, Canada, or Australia, chances are good that you will get a tourist visa fairly easily. However, it’s always best to check with the embassy or consulate of your intended destination country before you apply for any type of visa. The requirements for obtaining a tourist visa vary from country to country, but generally include proof of adequate financial resources and a return ticket home. In some cases, it may also be necessary to provide evidence of travel insurance. In addition, it is important to bear in mind that some countries require you to have 6 months – 1 year left on your passport before it expires or they won’t let you into the country.

Do International Housesitting Companies Help With Visas?

There are many wonderful international housesitting companies that can help connect you with potential opportunities. However, it is very important to remember that they cannot obtain visas on your behalf. In order to obtain a visa, you will need to follow the procedures set forth by the country you wish to visit. Some housesitting sites may be able to provide you with resources and advice on the visa application process. Many organizations have a network of sitters who have experience obtaining visas for various countries and can provide valuable insights into the process. As an example, TrustedHousesitters states the following on their site:

Through TrustedHousesitters you can apply for worldwide house and pet sitting opportunities. It’s important to remember that it is your responsibility to organise your own travel arrangements including making sure you are legally able to enter and house sit in a country. Please ensure you are fully informed before applying for and traveling to any house and pet sits.

We would advise that you check any relevant travel bureaus and authorities, as you would when arranging any other trips abroad.


Visa requirements for housesitting abroad can vary greatly from country to country. It’s important to do your research ahead of time so you know what paperwork you need to take care of before leaving for your trip. With a little bit of planning, you can have a hassle-free experience enjoying all that the world has to offer. Safe travels!